Microsoft Project Server
data (on-premise or Project Online
) can be integrated and synchronized codeless with Office 365, SharePoint, SQL and 100+ more data sources using the Layer2 Cloud Connector
via the OData data provider included in the package. Please take a look here
for more supported systems and applications.
Microsoft Project Online Integration
To connect to Microsoft Project data the data source entity must be configured as follows in the Layer2 Cloud Connector Connection Manager:
Fig. Example connection configuration to connect to Project Online with OData.
Microsoft Project Integration Specific Configuration Settings
Please note the following specific settings.
- Select the OData Data Provider to connect. The provider is part of the Layer2 Cloud Connector ADO.NET provider package and should be already installed. You will find a OData Provider specification here.
- You can use a connection string like this to connect:
url=https://myDomain.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/projectData; Collection=Projects; User [email protected]; Password=myPassword; Authentication=Office365.
- Several different authentication methods are generally supported like for Office 365 standard, ADFS, Windows. See provider specification linked above for more.
- You can make use of OData to query your data as supported by the data provider and source system. For any specification of supported queries see Microsoft Project Server OData documentation. You can map your data fields to specific external fields in the Layer2 Cloud Connector. Please take care about data types (simple type conversions are supported).
- Please enter an appropriate primary key (column with unique values), depending on query (see data preview for this).
- Project Online's OData API does not support write operations to ProjectData. It is read-only.
- No installation or changes are required at the Microsoft Project Server data source or data destination.
- Data synchronization can be started manually in the Connection Manager, per command line or scheduled in background by the Layer2 Cloud Connector Windows Service. Only data changes are processed (no delete / bulk import).
- No programming required for setup a connection and sync.
- No need to open your local network for access from outside.
Microsoft Project Integration and Synchronization Scenarios
No detailed scenarios available at this time. Just some ideas:
- Sync with local SQL or SQL Azure for better reporting via SSRS.
- Sync with Microsoft Exchange (on-premises or online) for notifications, tasks, calendar events, mobile access and offline availability on any device.
- Sync with 3rd party tools based on SQL databases like Oracle, mySQL or Microsoft SQL Server.
- Sync with Microsoft SharePoint or Office 365 for better collaboration (for example with customers or partners) or for intranet publishing.
Next Steps For Evaluation
You can register to download and evaluate the Layer2 Cloud Connector here