Box.net Specific SharePoint List Configuration Settings
In the SharePoint General List
Settings click "Connect to external data source".
While you cannot sync BOX files metadata directly with SharePoint,
you can sync with your local synced file copy managed by BOX as an intermediate
storage. You can use the Layer2 Business Data List Connector and the Layer2 Data
Provider for File System to sync.
Please note that BDLC can only sync your files metadata into a
Figure 1: Example connection
configuration to connect a native SharePoint list to your Box.net local folder
via Layer2 Business Data List Connector.
Please note the following specific settings.
- Select the Layer2 Data Provider for
File System to connect. The provider is part of the Layer2 Business Data List
Connector solution and should be already installed, depending on installation
options selected. You can also install separately if required.
- You can use a connection string like this to connect:
- Directory=myDirectory; UID=myUser; PWD=myPassword
- myDirectory can be D:\myDir, \\myServer\myshare, or \\127.0.0.1\c$\myShare
(with any valid IP).
- If BDLC is unable to connect to your network share, you can install the
Box.net sync tool on your SP server with an appropriate account and connect BDLC
to this folder location.
- Box.net normally is using file shares like C:\Users\myUser\Box Sync\
- SQL-like data queries will be supported with next versions, e.g. only files
with specific names, types or age.
- You can map your data fields to specific external source fields in the
Layer2 Business Data List Connector. Please take care about data types (simple
type conversions are supported).
- Select a primary key like "FileContent"
- You can use the connection for uni-directional synchronization only.
- No installation or changes are required at the data source or data
- No programming required for setup a connection and sync.
- No need to open your local network for access from outside.