Layer2 Knowledge Management Suite for SharePoint - Release Notes
These FAQs answer specific questions about the Knowledge Management Suite for SharePoint product.
For any questions please contact [email protected] directly. You will find a version
history of this solution with latest fixes and changes below.
KMS 3.1 and
The change log and release notes are moved and can now be
subscribed as RSS feed. Please take a look here for more
Auto Tagger for SharePoint
- [ADD] List seetings are removed from Auto Tagger Configuration List in case
the list is deleted or the web is deleted (via Event Receiver).
- [ADD] A Delete button is added to the list-based Auto Tagger configuration
dialog to completely remove configuration info from configuration list.
- [CHANGE] Bulk-Tagging now is a full crawl. It recognizes added columns,
changed folder names or links etc.
- FIX] The Event Receiver was not correctly bound to the list configured for
real-time tagging in some cases. Now fixed. You have to save the
settings initially one time for V3.0.1 lists to fix the
Tag Suggester for SharePoint
- [CHANGE] The Tag Suggester does not take into account the existing content
of the managed metadata field that is currently beeing tagged.
- [FIX] The name of the feature directory was changed as expected. Now simlar
to other features starting with Layer2.SharePoint.Taxonomy…
take care that existing licenses must be applied to the new directory after
upgrade. Please take the license from the old feature
directory: TagSuggester_TaggingActionFeature. You can remove the old feature
directory after update.
Taxonomy Manager for SharePoint
- [FIX] Issues fixed in Classification Rule Dialog: Close button now works as
expected. No more scroll-bars.
- [FIX] Java Script optimization to add Taxonomy Manager buttons to Term Store
- [New] List-based auto-tagging in real-time: Metadata can be assigned
automatically while uploading documents or changing list data. Plese note the
new link in document and list settings "Automatically Assign Metadata". Please
find a step-by-step intro in documentation included and here.
- [New] Bulk Tagging: Metadata can be assigned to entire libraries or lists,
e.g. after migration. See links above for documentation.
- [New] Incremental crawl / full crawl: The Auto Tagger timer job can run
with full crawl or incremental crawl. Incremental is highly efficient. Items
with no changes in content or term store are not renewed. You have to run a full
crawl to assign metadata to newly added metadata columns or include content from
newly added columns. You can configure in the Auto Tagger Configuration
[Fix] Users of Taxonomy Manager do not need read rights for the site
collection root site anymore to import or update term sets.
[Change] To import or update terms sets or define content categorization
rules using the Taxonomy Manager the following access rights are required: Term
Store Administrator or Group Manager or Contributor.
You can download V3 and upgrade for free with a valid Software
Assurance. Please note that you will need a new license file for V3. Please
request a license upgrade via [email protected]. You can use the
installer to upgrade. Please restart the Layer2 Auto Tagger Timer Job manually.
No other changes required.
- [New] Improved Logging with Auto Tagger. You can now specify the required
Log Levels in the Auto Tagger Configuration List on the root site of each site
collection. Logging continues to go to the SharePoint Log, but with different
- [New] It's now possible to call the Auto Tagger on-demand per API to process
singe items or documents. A sample implementation of a "List-based Auto Tagging"
on item change or on-demand (for the whole list) will be included in KMS version
- [New] Multi-language support added for term set export and import via
Taxonomy Manager (SKOS). Previously "en" and "de" was supported only. Now it
works as usual with .NET, e.g. "en-us" for American english etc.
- [Change] Highly increased performance of the Auto Tagger.
Please restart the Auto Tagger Timer Job after upgrade to
KMS 2.6.1 - Fixes & Changes
- [Fix] Auto Tagger timer job ends with error: "The context has expired and
can no longer be used. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090317)". Under some
conditions, service packs and security settings the current user token expires
during execution of the background job (a known SharePoint issue). That is fixed
by a workaround with the current release. Now a new token is created on demand
without any error.
- [Fix] Auto Tagger timer job stopped working in case of unknown issues with
specific lists. Now fixed (lists with issues are skipped, iteration is
continued, log written).
- [Change] All Web Parts are now supporting more than 7 levels in the Term
Store tree. In SharePoint 2010 this was limited to 7. The amount of levels was
increased in SharePoint 2013, but never adapted to the web parts. Now
KMS 2.5 - Fixes & Changes
- [Change] JQuery version was updated to 1.11
- [Fix] Use of JQuery was optimized to avoid version conflicts
KMS 2.4 - Changes in UI
- [Change] UI of all web parts highly improved
KMS 2.3 - New Features & Fixes
- [Fix] Access rights issues in SharePoint 2013 with Taxonomy Manager (Import)
- [Fix] Taxonomies are shown twice in Tag Suggester, fixed.
- [Fix] Tab [0-9] (for terms that start with numbers nor non-letters) missed
in Tag Directory Web Part, fixed.
- [Fix] Item sorting issue in Related Content Web Part fixed.
- [Change] Empty tabs are now shown in Tag Directory Web Part, but disabled
- [Change] Display templates are changed and renamed for all web parts to
better fit to the SharePoint 2010 and 2013 default style. For backward
compatibility old templates can still be used as "Custom".
- [Change] In case a referenced
templates are not found, custom template is applied for all web parts.
- [Change] Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.dll is no longer
KMS 2.2 - New Features & Fixes
- [New] Support for multiple Managed Metadata Service Applications added to
- [New] Support for inherited metadata added for the Web Parts. Child terms
can be included automatically in term ID search. An additional managed property
- [New] Search results now can be sorted by any managed property ascending or
- [New] The Installation Checker now checks existance of the required
Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.dll for the Tag Suggester und Auto
- [Fix] If to many terms are selected in the Related Content Web Part, the
default SharePoint query length is exceeded. Now a warning is given in the Web
Part properties in this case.
KMS 2.1.4 - Fixes
- The release fixes issues in the Tag Suggester component only. No changes in
- With SharePoint 2013 the Tag Suggester tab "Suggestions" was not shown. Now
- An issue with calling the jQuery noConflict method was fixed.
- Issues with identifying the current list item are fixed.
KMS 2.1.2 - Fixes
KMS 2.1 - New Features, Fixes & Changes
Please note that any upgrade to V2.* needs a
new license file. Contact [email protected] to
- [NEW] Support for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013. Upgrades are free for all customers with valid Software Assurance.
- [NEW] Support for FAST Search in SharePoint 2010.
- [NEW] "@TermName" and "@SocialTagName" now can be used additionally as placeholder in navigation web parts to build a custom link URL.
- [NEW] Template System for KMS WebParts (Tag Cloud, Tag Directory, Tag Navigation, Related Content). Documentation is comming soon. Known issue: Do not delete templates that are in use.
- [MOD] Optimized rendering of web part properties (edit mode).
- [FIX] In Tag Directory Web Part, when set to display "Used Terms" only, sometimes terms are listed twice. This issue is fixed in the current release.
KMS V1.8 - Fixes &
[FIX] Tag Suggester did not suggest terms that consists of multiple words,
separated by spaces. That is fixed with the current release.
[MOD] If Tag Suggester is not able to retrieve data from the currently open
form client-side, now it tries to get from previously saved list or library
item. With previous version there were no suggestions in this case.
[FIX] Auto Tagger now applies terms that consist of multiple words
(separated by space). Such terms were not applied in previous
KMS V1.7 - Fixes & Changes (Auto Tagger only)
- [ADD] Scopes are introduced to include and to exclude
specific sites, lists, columns and content types to or from tagging. By default
all content of the current site collection is tagged. See included manual for
- [ADD] Default "All Items" views are added for the Auto Tagger Configuration
List and the Auto Tagger Scopes List to display all required information.
- [FIX] There was an issue with overwrite mode in previous versions. Tags,
that are no longer applied, were not removed correctly with overwrite-mode set
to true. This is fixed now.
Now those tags, that are no longer validate (e.g.
in case of text or rule change) are removed correctly with overwrite mode set to
true. Please note, that no existing tags are removed from items or documents if
overwrite is set to false.
- [FIX] There was an issue with licensing while auto-tagging publishing pages
(because not all publishing pages have a title or name field). This caused an
error with previous versions.
It is now fixed: Such pages are not tagged in
- [MOD] The current product version now is displayed in a column of the Auto
Tagger Configuration List.
- [MOD] Edit-Forms of configuration lists now display columns with write
- [MOD] All columns of configuration lists do have a description now.
- [MOD] The Config Feature in feature activation list is now hidden. It is
managed by the main feature.
- [DEL] The columns TargetUID and Level are no longer used in the config
How to upgrade from 1.6
- Install all components using the installer provided. After installation
please re-activate the farm feature for the auto tagger timer job. Please also
IISReset and restart Windows SharePoint Timer Service. The configuration lists
are modified automatically during first run of auto tagger.
How to clean install 1.7
- Install all components using the installer provided. After installation
please activate the main Auto Tagger feature on site collection level. This
creates both configuration lists with default settings. With the first run of
Auto Tagger all items of the site collection are tagged.