Layer2 Taxonomy Manager for SharePoint - Features & Benefits
The Layer2 Taxonomy Manager for SharePoint offers a complete term life-cycle management application to efficiently import, update and export corporate taxonomies including additional custom term attributes, e.g. classification rules. See below for more detailed features and benefits.
The Layer2 Taxonomy Manager for SharePoint has the following features and benefits:
- Advanced import features: Support of additional formats to import free and commercially available taxonomies, e.g. SKOS. This format allows integration of many well-known 3rd party KM systems like PoolParty. Out-of-the-box SharePoint supports CSV only, multi-language localization and synonyms are not supported by default.
- Update feature: Terms Sets can be updated and deployed safely without losing the classified content. Out-of-the-box term assignments getting lost while importing updated term sets.
- Export feature: The Taxonomy Manager allows exporting of SharePoint-based corporate taxonomies without any loss of information into several different formats, e.g. SKOS. Out-of-the-box SharePoint doesn't offer any export.
- Term Set Backup / Restore: Export- and import features can be used to backup and restore taxonomies on term set level if required. Out-of-the-box there is no taxonomy backup feature in SharePoint.
- Classification rules: You can create and manage tag rules for content-based auto-classification including rule auto-generation and rule validation. Classification rules can be used for semi-automated or fully automated content classification tools for SharePoint like the Tag Suggester and the Auto-Tagger. Out-of-the-box classification rules are not supported by SharePoint.
- 100% SharePoint 2010 / 2013 technology: The solution is completely based on the new Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Metadata Management API and is certified as "Microsoft Platform Ready for SharePoint". No MOSS 2007 legacy code or external 3rd party software (e.g. external index or search engine) is used.
Open API: Optionally plug-in of existing 3rd party solutions for text-mining, rule generation, content categorization etc.
- KMS integration: The Taxonomy Manager works seamlessly together with the other components of the Knowledge Management Suite for SharePoint.
The Layer2 Taxonomy Manager is available for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and 2013, not for the free Microsoft SharePoint Foundation or Office 365.