IBM Informix Specific SharePoint List Configuration Settings
In the SharePoint General List Settings click "Connect to external data
source". In the BDLC form, the data source must be configured as follows to
connect to IBM Informix using the ODBC driver.
Figure 1: Example connection
configuration to connect a native SharePoint list to an IBM Informix ODBC data
source via Layer2 Business Data List Connector.
Please note the following specific settings.
- Download and install the appropriate
Informix Client SDK package, which will install
the ODBC drivers. Note that the driver must be the 64-bit version to work with
- Use a System DSN (not User or File DSN) to setup your connection and to
refer to in the connection string. If the SetNet32 settings were configured, the
Informix driver should automatically detect the databases you can use and fill
in the details. Otherwise, you will need to configure that per the Informix ODBC DSN Configuration instructions.
Figure 2: An example Informix ODBC
configuration in the ODBC Data Source Administrator.
- Select the ODBC Data Provider to
connect. The provider is part of the Windows Operating System and should be
- You can use a connection string like this to connect:
- You can make use of ODBC to query your data as supported by the data
provider and source system. For any specification of query
language supported, see the IBM Informix Driver documentation.
- You can map your data fields to specific external source fields in the
Layer2 Business Data List Connector. Please take care about data types (simple
type conversions are supported).
- Please enter an appropriate primary key (column with unique values),
depending on query (see data preview for this).
- You can use the connection for uni- or bi-directional (write-back)
synchronization. In case of inserts (full CRUD) via external systems, please
take care that the primary key is defined and appropriate.
- No installation or changes are required at the ODBC data source or data
- No programming required for setup a connection and sync.
- No need to open your local network for access from outside.