PostgreSQL Specific SharePoint List Configuration Settings
In the SharePoint General List Settings click "Connect to external data
source". In the BDLC form, the data source must be configured as follows to
connect to PostgreSQL using the Npgsql Data Provider.
Figure 1: Example connection
configuration to connect a native SharePoint list to an PostgreSQL data source
via Layer2 Business Data List Connector.
Please note the following about specific settings:
- You will need to install a 3rd-party
data provider to support PostgreSQL, such as the Npgsql .NET Data Provider. You
can download and install from here.
- Note that the provider must be 64-bit to work with BDLC.
- Please select the ".NET Data Provider for PostgreSQL" from the list of
- You can make use of standard connection strings for PostgreSQL, for
Server=myServer; Database=myDatabase; User Id=myUser;
Find more about PostgreSQL connection strings.
- Note that you may need to start the database or database server to validate.
In some cases, a Port=; value will also be needed.
- You can make use of all SQL queries your data provider supports. See the PostgreSQL User Documentation.
You can use the connection for uni- or bi-directional (write-back)
synchronization. In case of inserts (full CRUD) via external systems, please
take care that the primary key is defined and appropriate.
There is also an ODBC provider that works with the BDLC. The official ODBC
driver can be obtained here.
- No programming required for setup a connection and sync.
- No need to open your local network for access from outside.
Do you have questions or issues connecting? Please contact [email protected] directly.